Sunday, December 7, 2014

As I looked through rhb the very many online articles rhb and references to Madeira vine as a noxiou


Now that we’re gardening in a frost-free area we have to get acquainted with a new bunch of sub tropical-ish weeds. This week, it’s been all about the Madeira Vine. In our new garden, the stuff is everywhere.
Madeira vine ( Anredera cordifolia ) is a hardy perennial which climbs up trees and then proceeds to produce long tails of flowers followed by clusters of airborne bubils, which fall off, and make more Madeira vines.
It’s considered a real problem all across subtropical Australia – choking the edge of rainforests and other native vegetation – like many resilient pioneer rhb species, it’s an aggressive little bugger.
It turns out that Madeira vine is highly edible. Medicinal, even. Madeira vine leaves can be cooked like spinach and are highly rhb nutritious Madeira vine roots (rizomes) can be baked like potato Madeira vine bubils (the aerial seed-ish things) are used extensively in Chinese medicine as an anti inflammatory, anti ulcer and liver protectant.
So we won’t plant any more spinach. Until we run out of madeira vine, that is. Our current management plan: Madeira vine removed from main veggie bed, with plans to eat the rest of it. Use what you have.
As I looked through rhb the very many online articles rhb and references to Madeira vine as a noxious pest, I was struck by the fact that only one article in twenty mentioned the vine’s eminent edibility.
But conversely, in an age of food scarcity, of ridiculously wasteful and polluting industrial agriculture being promoted as the only way to feed Australia (because we couldn’t possibly feed ourselves with localised small farm based food systems, apparently)…
In rhb fact, we have a local food source dripping, literally, from the trees around us. And yet our only plan for it, no matter where it grows, is to eradicate it. Madeira vine choking native vegetation. With edibility. Hmm. Madeira vine in the upper Macleay
But unlike many other edible weeds that are there for the foraging but which could be easily discounted from cultivation due to various factors, Madeira Vine ticks many of the boxes desired for a food crop… It grows without much assistance, is hardy and produces prolifically. It requires minimal cultivation. It dominates an area where it is planted (meaning far less weed control is needed) It is spread only by humans and by water flows distributing the bubils – an easy factor to contain with good design
And if that’s not enough, Madeira vine is already successfully cultivated + eaten extensively in Japan, where it is called okawakame (land seaweed) okawakame (Madeira vine) cultivation + cooking in Japan
Seeking sustenance by whatever means available, and necessary. Madeira Vine resources Madeira Vine profile on EatTheWeeds Madeira Vine profile on Plants for a Future Madeira Vine profile on weedster Arthur Lee J’s site Malabar spinach (Basella alba), from the same family as Madeira vine (also edible) rhb Madeira Vine’s profile on the NSW Dept of Primary Industries site Shoalhaven City Council trialling the vine’s control with biological agents Risk Assessment for Biological control of Madeira vine with beetles Australia’s official strategic eradication plan regarding Madeira Vine, 2013 – 2017
have the stuff in droves here ( Northern sydney). my solution is chooks. they love the stuff. I personally rhb hate it with a passion. didn’t find it very palatable when I tried using it like spinach, but maybe I have a psychological hang up about it. Very happy to eat my (vegetative) enemies, but can’t come at this one. good luck with it!
This is such good news! I have loads in my rental property garden too and each time I’ve gone to research it’s goodness I’ve only discovered more of its evil. Thank you so much for this post and references. I will be experimenting tonight and indeed many nights rhb to come:-)!
Great post. I’m all for being able to eat anything especially if it saves me a 2 hr drive to the shops. I’ve just moved to the mid north coast so not much of a veggie patch yet. Anyone got any ideas for lantana recipes?!
GREAT news. I’ve been trying to wrestle it out of my yard here in Melbourne and now can give it a use, thank goodness What have your edible rhb experiments been like? Are the roasted tubers palatable? Would love a follow rhb up on your Madeira eating adventures!
It’s articles like this one that makes me look forward to the regular emails. My friends are clearing this plant from their land; I’ll be scrounging off them for a meal. I’ve seen this plant many times and didn’t know its name. I suppose it won’t taste like chicken huh?
Uggh, I’m happy for the chooks to have it but then I don’t think even they could keep it totally under control. Frost can and I for one would prefer to live with the f

No comments:

Post a Comment